This guide explains how to migrate a Backbone synchronization from one Jira instance to another so that the sync works for the project(s) just as it did before migration.
You are synchronizing two projects on two different Jira instances. Let's call them Project A on Jira instance A, and Project B on Jira Instance B.
- Migrate a synchronized project to another Jira instance
The synchronization is configured in the Jira instance A. You want to migrate Project A to another instance, but after moving, you want Project A to sync with Project B just like before the migration.
You should first migrate the project A as described in the Atlassian docs, then follow the steps below.
- Migrate a synchronization from a workaround solution to a real one
The synchronization is configured in another Jira instance, e.g. because you started to sync two cloud instances before Backbone officially supported it. Please follow the steps below.
- Stop the original running synchronization
- Export the sync config for this synchronization
- Download the synced issue data for this synchronization (open the sync config and click ••• > Download synchronized issues)
- Go to (the new Jira instance for) Project A and create a new synchronization with Project B
- Import sync config that you exported in step 2
- Upload the synced issue data for this issues in this project that you exported in step 3 (click ••• > Pair existing issues > Pair existing issues synced with Backbone before)
- In the synchronization config, check every tab ('Issue types', 'Fields - mappings' etc.) for validation errors – these will appear in yellow warning boxes. These are called by custom IDs (issue type IDs, field IDs, etc) being different in the new Jira instance. Find any errors and correct them.
- Start the new synchronization
- In the new synchronization, trigger a resync in both directions (with only the summary field, so the resync doesn't take long). This is done in order to recreate the information in the Sync info panel.
- Once you have verified everything is working correctly, delete the original synchronization. This will also delete the old information in the sync info panel.