Scroll Versions classifies its users into three roles, which space admins can assign from Scroll Add-ons > Administration > Permissions. These are especially useful in larger teams, where responsibilities might be distributed across multiple people. Real-life responsibilities can be mapped to these roles. For example, if you have external writers generating your content, they can be assigned as Authors, while your internal tech writers who are responsible for the overall documentation, can be assigned as Doc-Admins.
The roles are:
- Doc-Admin: administrators of content in versioned spaces. They are the only ones who can publish a version.
- Author: authors of content in versioned spaces. They can edit pages, but not perform administrative functions.
- Reviewer: these users review content and mark it as accepted or rejected, and can compare page versions and access Scroll Versions-related page metadata. However, they cannot edit pages themselves.
- Reader: Anyone who can view the currently published version of your content.
When using a Private Master Space approach, you don't need to define these roles if you don't want to; if you don't set these permissions, Scroll Versions will default its permissions to those defined for the space (for example, space admins will be treated as Doc-Admins). We highly recommend leaving the Confluence default permissions; in fact, Atlassian themselves do it this way.
Overview of the Scroll Roles
The permissions in spaces managed with Scroll Versions depend on the permissions set for the space and if specific users and groups are assigned to the Scroll Versions roles.
- If Authors and Reviewers are explicitly defined in a space, Doc-Admins have to be explicitly defined as well. Otherwise, Doc-Admins won't be able to see or create versioned pages.
- When using a Public Master Space approach, Roles must be defined.
- Group and user pickers in Roles configuration or Page Restrictions screens do not consider if a certain group or a user has access to the space. Please review which group and users have access on the Space Permissions screen before adding Roles and restricting versions or pages.
Who Has Permission?
An administrator for Scroll Add-ons modules. Can act as author, reviewer, and reader. Doc-Admins can execute Health Checks, edit versions' permissions, convert pages to Unversioned, reschedule pages and delete page versions.
|Reviewer||Can browse through versions, compare page versions and access Scroll Versions-related page metadata, and review content that has been submitted for review in the Workflows module.||If version module is enabled||
|Author||Can create and edit pages in versions, convert pages to Versioned. Can submit drafts for review in the Workflows module. If reviewers are not explicitly defined, authors also act as reviewers.||If version module is enabled||
|Reader||Can view Unversioned Pages or (published) Master Pages||
Scroll Versions has a built-in workflow engine that tracks the state of each page and provides functionality for approvals.
A user can perform different transitions depending on their role:
|Draft > Review||Review > Draft||Review > Complete||Complete > Draft|