A sitemap is helpful in getting your help center properly indexed by search machines. The Help Center theme can add a sitemap.xml to your Help Center that is generated on the fly as it is accessed.
Add a sitemap to a content space
Follow these steps:
- Create a new page in your help center space.
- Add the label "scroll-help-center-sitemap" to that page.
- Copy the Viewport URL of that page and submit it as a sitemap URL for example in Google Search Console.
Sitemap pages are automatically hidden in the page trees an other navigation.
Add a sitemap to a portal space
If you have a multi-space help center, it makes sense to generate a sitemap for each space as specified above and then provide an index of all sitemaps in the portal space.
Follow these steps to add a sitemap to your Help Center portal:
- Create a new page in your help center portal space.
- Add the label "scroll-help-center-sitemap-index" to that page.
- Copy the Viewport URL of that page and submit it as a sitemap index to Google Search Console.
If you have actual content in the portal space that you would like to index, follow the Add a sitemap to a content space steps to create a dedicated sitemap.xml for the portal space.
Exclude a page from sitemap
To exclude any page from being listed in sitemaps or being indexed by search engines in general, add the label "scroll-help-center-no-index". This will omit the page from sitemaps and add a meta tag that makes sure search engines don't index that page.